" Maple Brunch Penne "
5 strips of bacon cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons maple syrup
shaved parmesan cheese and pepper to taste
Marinara Sauce Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely diced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1) Heat olive oil in large saucepan or wok, on medium-low heat
2) Add onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Cook until soft, but not brown. Stir frequently
3) Mix in brown sugar, white sugar, salt, and tomato paste. Continue to stir frequently
4) Separate juices from crushed tomato and set the juice aside
5) Add crushed tomato and stir. Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce reduces. About 15-20 minutes. Occasionally stir mixture
6) While sauce is simmering, bring pot of water to boil and cook Catelli Gluten Free Penne per directions on box
7) While pasta is cooking, fry bacon until slightly crisp and drain. Place bacon in a bowl and drizzle with maple syrup. Add the maple syrup coated bacon to sauce
8) Add the reserved juices from crushed tomatoes to sauce and stir
9) Fry eggs sunnyside up in bacon grease
10) While eggs cook, drain pasta (do not rinse!!!) and add to sauce
11) Place finished pasta mixture in 4 bowls and top each with fried egg. Add shaved parmesan and pepper to your liking. Serve and enjoy!
You can use an egg ring like I did, to produce a nice rounded shape.
Like what I have created here? Feeling up for a challenge?
Visit Websaver.ca and grab a coupon for $1.00 off of any one Catelli Gluten Free 340g product. Then, create your own Catelli Gluten Free pasta recipe and share it here on Catelli's Facebook page. The recipe can be for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert! The choice is yours. Catelli's Gluten Free Pastabilities Challenge will be held for the public from May 4-31, 2015, and Catelli is offering major prizes for delicious, out-of-the-box gluten free pasta ideas. The three people whose recipes get selected and have the highest number of likes on Catelli’s Facebook page will receive a year’s supply of gluten free pasta, courtesy of Catelli! How cool is that?!
**Disclosure: I received compensation in the form of product for this post